Congratulations to all future brides, you now have some planning to do!
I’m Kirsty MacDonald owner of ‘Bridal Makeup Killarney’ I’m a professional bridal makeup artist,
covering Co. Kerry and Cork areas. James has very kindly invited me to take over his blog for the day
to talk a little bit about Bridal makeup and give you a few tips and tricks. As you can imagine
wedding mornings can be very busy, a bride can easily get overwhelmed with sticking to a timeline.
Hopefully these little tips can help to get ready on the morning a breeze, having already done the
groundwork to planning the perfect makeup look prior to the big day. Below are my 15 best makeup tips for beautiful skin.
Invest in your skin
- Invest in your skin and your makeup will look flawless on the day! Start as soon as possible but it’s
never too late to make a difference, just don’t try something new too close to the big day as this may
cause breakouts. Choose a skincare specialist to prescribe you products that are tailored to your skin
as one product does not fit all.
- Facial waxing, if needed should be done a week beforehand as residue can stay on the skin and
foundation doesn’t take as well to that area. Although I can work wonders covering these areas, I
can always tell when someone has been recently waxed.
Photos we love
- We LOVE photos, bring all the ideas you have to the bridal trail for your makeup artist and then
during consultation, it can be discussed what would work for your face/eye shape or colouring and
we can adjust this accordingly.
Help from the Makeup Artist
- With the help of your makeup artist choose a lip colour at the trial to match your skin tone and
purchase it before the big day. Some makeup artists provide a ‘touch up kit’ which is usually
included in the overall cost of the Bridal makeup. Another great tip is to exfoliate the lips a few times
a week to keep lipsticks looking flawless. Usually a crème sheen lipstick translates very nicely to
Products on hand
- Have a few products on hand for topping up makeup such as translucent powder, blotting papers,
hydrating mists and lipstick. Make it the maid of honours job to keep these in their bag during the
day as most brides don’t like to carry a bag and maybe forgotten.
Products with an SPF
- Products with an SPF have reflective particles which show up on camera known as a flashback.
This is the casting that appears in photos where you notice the face is paler than the rest of the
body. Avoid this for the big day but use it to prevent damage the rest of the time as part of your
usual skincare routine.
- Using your fingers to apply primer can cause micro exfoliation on the skin which can cause
makeup to appear uneven in places, I like to use a soft flat brush for a flawless finish.
A Bronzer is a no/no
- Don’t use a bronzer to contour the face, a bronzer is designed to warm the skin not to create a
natural contour shadow. A natural face shadow would be taupe in colour, my recommendation
would be Inglot HD contour powder as they do a wide range of taupe colours.
- A Bridal Trial is there for a reason; you can try a number of looks so don’t be disheartened if you
don’t feel 100% about the first look. Taking the advice of the makeup artist in my experience usually
works out the best but don’t stray too far from the look you are used to either. Consider if you’re
planning on having a spray tan, trial this just before going for the makeup trial so the makeup artist
can coordinate colours of blush, eyes and lips accordingly as they can appear different on different
skin tones. It’s a good idea to get the makeup and hair trial at the same time to get a better idea of
an overall look, and remember wearing a white top for maximum effect!
- Expect to be emotional, it’s the biggest day of your life. Use waterproof eye makeup where
possible and blot with a tissue rather than wipe.
- Starting with the eyes before foundation is something that saves time and mess on the day, I
always use this method. It gives skincare and primer time to soak into the skin before the foundation
application speeding up the whole process. Prime the eyes and away you go, after finishing the eye
makeup any fallout from eyeshadows can easily be wiped away before starting on that flawless base.
Oily Skin Trick
- If you find that your skin gets very oily, there is a little magic trick, I give the face a light dusting
of translucent powder after primer and before foundation. Thank me later! Use translucent powder
to absorb any oil during the day after blotting.
The right lighting for makeup is a must
- The right lighting for makeup is a must, I like to set up near to a window on the morning for
natural light but always make sure I carry a plug-in ring light with me which mimics daylight just in
Timing is important
- Timing is important on the wedding morning, if you get a good makeup artist and hairstylist duo
they will usually work in sync to get you ready for your desired time with time for lip touch-ups/
popping on the veil before leaving. The bride is typically set up in heated rollers first and she is then
free to carry on her morning. I like to start makeup on the bride in the middle of the wedding party,
you’re not first to be ready but also you’re not left until the end where you are often being pulled in
every direction for photographs. Bridesmaids and Mother of the bride usually take around 30
minutes each with longer spent on the bride.
Be a More Galmorous version of yourself!
- Be a more glamorous version of YOURSELF! This is my top tip, I usually wear my eyes quite
defined but decided that I wanted a classic bridal look for my wedding day. This was a mistake
looking back now at the photos as I didn’t feel myself. Do try to avoid makeup trends as they change
extremely fast and you won’t get that ‘timeless bridal look’ for photos that last for years and years to
15 Best Makeup tips for beautiful skin
I feel as a makeup artist on the day of a wedding, I’m not there just for makeup, I’m there to help in
any way I can. You will often find me helping with dresses, jewellery, lighting for photographers,
ordering food and drinks and keeping spirits high. It’s important to surround yourself with people
who will go the extra mile and give you a few laughs along the way on the day.
Favourite bridal products
Charlotte Tilbury flawless filter
Charlotte Tilbury Pillow talk lipstick & liner
Chanel healthy glow bronzing cream
Inglot HD foundation
Mehron HD foundation
Nars Sheer Glow foundation
Inglot HD contour powder
Mac Prep and prime translucent powder
MAC mineralize skin finish
Inglot face and body dust highlighter number 02
15 Best Makeup tips for beautiful skin
Recommendations for the Killarney area-
Bridal Makeup Killarney (Aghadoe Heights Bridal hair & Makeup boutique)
Aifric Rice Makeup Artist, Click Here
Kirsty Macdonald Bridal Makeup Killarney.
Well, I do hope you enjoyed these 15 Best Makeup tips for beautiful skin. If you would like to see my wedding gallery click HERE.
And if you would like to get in touch Click HERE.